Aug 18, 2008

Where has it gone?

So school starts tomorrow and like everyone else I'm wondering where the heck the summer went. Call me crazy but I can already feel fall in the air and I've felt like that for a week or two. I can't believe it's over and we didn't do one fun thing all summer. Okay, we went to California on vacation but technically that was during school so it wasn't really a summer vacation. I mean we didn't go to the zoo, or Lagoon or anything. How Lame. Two weekends ago I made Greg take us for a drive up the canyon. We packed a picnic lunch and went up Mill Hollow and my kids whined the whole drive up because they were afraid we were lost and wanted to turn around and go home. Once we were there they had a ball and loved every minute of it but I am completely disgusted that our kids have not experienced much outside of Kamas. It seems like most of my summers were spent either camping or horse riding with my dad. I mean I'm sure I'm only remembering the good times but my poor kids have only been camping once or twice and that was a couple years ago. I guess they are just growing so fast that I'm just afraid the only memories of their childhood that they will have are going to be of vegging out in front of the T.V.
I hope we can get out some more before the weather gets too cold because they really had fun.



Over the weekend the girls had a little vacation in Salem at my parents house. They thought it was their vacation but really it was for me and Greg. For our anniversary we didn't get to go on a trip this year like we have in the past but since the girls were gone for a couple nights we went to dinner and a movie which was nice and we never do that anymore. Then on Saturday we borrowed a 6-wheeler and Greg took me up to Murdock Basin and showed me where they have been working for the Provo River water users. I didn't think of it at the time but I should have taken pictures of what they are actually working on and the road to get there. From what I understand the first couple trips down were pretty hairy. They were driving trucks and trailers and semis down a road that's is basically meant for rock crawlers and ATVs. It was such a pretty drive and a gorgeous day and we got some good pictures. We even saw a bull moose.

2 clever comments:

Kristie said...

Those pictures are so beautiful! It is interesting that you say all of that about not getting out much and do some camping. Growing up I have never been camping with my family. I would imagine that Greg didn't do much ethier at least with our family. However Eric did make us go up Mill Hallow every weekend to cut fire wood. Working in the out doors never relaxing. Now that I am away from that beautiful valley I imagine moving home and spending so much more time exploring and hiking those awesome mountains. Reality check I have become my father and camping just isn't in me. I do bore my kids to death driving them around on tours.
Those girls are so cute I want to get Millie and Si up there to spend more time with them.

Billie Jo said...

Your whole life is one adventure after another. I am sorry that we didn't take advantage of the camper while we had it. Remember there was the one night on the trampoline. There is still the thrill of Francis Frontier Days. I think that every time they went to Salem they either went swimming or some other adventure like that. You are still one up on my kids, they have NEVER been to Disneyland!